Sunday, April 11, 2021

Music: Rhino's Best Of Anime

I don't have a picture for this one so please enjoy this fan art

 

Content Warning: None (really)

This collection of anime theme songs came out right at the beginning of the anime boom in the US, so it has a very eclectic mix of themes. I was wandering around the CD section of a local store when I saw it and had to have it. As such, I own the version with the clear Speed Racer insert, as I didn’t know there was one with Cutey Honey. Since this is a weird one, let’s just look at the list of songs, shall we?

Astro Boy (English)

Gigantor (English)

Speed Racer (English)

Lum’s Love Song (Urusai Yatsura)

Sentimental Over The Shoulder (Megazone 23)

Beautiful Planet (Windaria)

Active Heart (Gunbuster)

Adesso E Fortuna (Record of Lodoss War)

Full Moon Light (Devil Hunter Yoko)

Sailing (Silent Mobius)

Happy Birthday To Me (All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku)

Just Beyond The Time (New Dominion Tank Police)

My Heart I Can’t Say, Your Heart I Want to Know (Oh My Goddess!)

Cutey Honey (New Cutey Honey)

Voices (Macross Plus)

Sailor Moon Theme (English)

Of these, I’ve seen maybe half… Okay, at least one episode or parts of it. When this came out (1998), a lot of this stuff was still on VHS and you had to stack it down. Not to mention the various versions of some of them, like Megazone 23, which was used to make a Robotech movie for a hot minute. However, this gave me a list of things to track down, even if I never got around to some of them (Windaria is one I don’t even remember hearing of).

I picked this up for one song, really: Voices. Macross Plus had some of the best music I’ve ever heard in an OVA but finding a full soundtrack was almost impossible. To me, Voices is the second best song in the series, with Information High being the number one.

I still listen to some of these from time to time, as I can remember the shows when I hear the theme song. Gunbuster, Macross Plus, and Nuku Nuku are some of the shows I remember well.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Suggestion: They don’t make themes like they used to. While a weird mix, it’s a wonderful time capsule of how things used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Flavors Of The Month